Skip to main content

The Key to Learning Fast - The Only Secret You Need to Know

Learning is an important aspect of life. It is a non-negotiable for anyone who wants to stay on top in their personal life and career. We all have the capacity to learn and improve, but many are yet to unlock the potential to learning well, as well as fast. 

My Learning Experience

Just last week, I was asked to prepare an Excel sheet to size some cables for some engineering project. After preparing the Excel sheet, the senior engineers were wowed! This was beyond their expectation! How did I prepare something that excellent, that could automatically calculate the size and give dynamic recommendation for the selection of any cable! 
Was it something amazing to them? Yes. Was it anything special to me? Definitely not. 

Two months prior, I new next to nothing on Excel. I didn't even know how to use the SUM function. During an intensive training programme, an external facilitator had trained us on Basics, Intermediate and Advanced Excel. This training was within a space of one week. It was indeed rigorous, organized, and packed. I applied the lessons I learnt from this training to the project given to me by my supervisor. That is the background of the story. 

But How Did I do it?
Left to me, I would have spent three months learning anything I would need to know about Excel. I would have been distracted by other things that are seemingly important or look more important to me. But I had no choice. In something that was more like a boot camp, I had to learn. I needed to learn, and I had no choice but to learn. 

Comittment, discipline, focus, deliberate practice! Not just motivation, but comittment, focus, discipline and deliberate practice. I will explain. 

We all have our traditional ways of doing things.  We have our default settings whenever we are asked to do a task or anything. First, we want to be motivated enough to carry out the task, next, we don't want to be forced to do what we need to do. Or at least, we want to do the things we want to do at leisure. We don't want to be held accountable for our personal development. We want that liberty of doing what we want to do anyday and anytime. It would surprise you to know that this is the exact barrier to personal development. The first step you need to take is comittment, the second is focus, the third is willingness to fail and try again, and the forth is deliberate practice.

The Key to Learning Fast

Lets take a closer look again at these keys in details and learn how to apply it.

#Key1 - Comittment

When you commit to doing something, you leave yourself no other option but to do it. Simple commitments like brushing your teeth everyday, taking your bath, combing your hair, has tremendous impact on your life simply because you do it eveyday. Whenever you miss doing this simple tasks, gou do not miss the following day. This is simply because you have committed yourself to doing them. Daily, You leave yourself no other option but to do them. You don't even think about whether you should do it or not. You simply have accepted it as your daily lifestyle. You may have other urgent or important tasks you need to do, but this is a non-negotiable for you. You just must do it. You are committed to doing it. In a similar manner, whatever you need to learn, you have to be committed to it. You may have other priorities, but this is a non-negotaible for you. 

This is the key to learning fast. But then, to learn even faster, you need another key. 

#Key2 - Focus

You will never do anything tangible with a divided attention. You can either be 100% focused on a task and be 0% focused on another, or be 100% focused on that other task and be 0% focused on another task. Don't get me wrong, you can do many things at the same time, but you cannot focus on two things at the same time. You can either focus on this article you are reading right now and everything else becomes background noise, or you entirely focus on the music playing from your airpod while simply scanning through this blog article. You cannot efficiently do both. You have to swith attention if you have to do to both. And guess what, each time you switch between tasks, you pay a price. You have to swith attention, and there is a switching cost attached to it. Switching cost is the number of seconds you lose in order to regain your thoughts and attention of a task you were previously attending to. Imagine you switch attention every five, three or two minutes. This will leave you impatient and shorten your attention apan. 

You simply have to decide on what you have to do and be focused. Focus makes you present wherever you are. If you are studying for thirty minutes, you are studying for thirty minutes. If you are reading for an hour, you are reading for one hour. If you are enjoying your favourite music, guess what? You definitely are. And if you are committed to learning a new skill, you are actually committed and present when you sit down to learn. No distractions, you are simply there and present. 

While focus will help you stay on the task now, PASSION will keep you going. 

#Key3 - Passion

Passion is an emotion, it is a fuel. It is not always be there, but whenever you find it, use it. Endurance is the aftermath of passion. When passion is spent, endurance takes over. Anywhere, anytime, passion will always differentiate you from others who are lacklustre in their approach towards life. You may be slow, but passion will keep you going. You may be fast, passion will stop you from slowing down. (That's why the tortoise will always beat the hare in any race. 😄) Endurance and Passion are both fuels you will need in your journey towards personal development. 

But then, you need one more key. Deliberate Practice. 

#Key4 - Deliberate Practice

Deliberate practice beats collaboration. Team collaboration is good, but it is best when both team members have subjected themselves to deliberate practice. Deliberate practice is deliberate living and learning. 

You can beat the best of the best if you subject yourself to few weeks of intensive deliberate practice to learn anything of your choice. 

When you learn to do things the hard way, a time will come when it becomes the easy way to do things for you. Don't always take the easiest route. Always apply yourself in whatever task you are given. Be hard working and exhaust yourself in learning and doing as much as you can each day.

Here is the Truth you Need to Know

You can be a great performer at anything if you set your mind to it. Your goal is not to get the glory but to be a top performer and solve problems. Bury yourself in deliberate practice to master work related skills,  and skills for personal development. Don't settle for average, always give your 100%.

You can be the best at anything you set your mind to do. When you make up your mind that you are going to achieve something, you are definitely going to achieve it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get started: The Purpose of this blog

Let's be frank, I've known about blogging a long time ago. Around 2012, I'd been very passionate about owning a blog or a website. I posted my first article September 30, 2016. Why such big gap between when I had the idea of owning a blog and when I actually started blogging? Not just blogging; I've also experienced  this kind of scenario in other areas of my life. I've taken time to reflect about this and below are the few reasons I was able to map out. Connecting With  Others As a result of my upbringing, I've learnt to do things on my own. Although I've built a life of confidence and grit in what I do, ( at least to some extent ), I've come to discover that productive  team work is inevitable. This has to do with connecting with the right set of people. As regards owning a blog, I remember spending all night trying to create one. I eventually became frustrated because I just didn't understand how to go about it. I recall thinking perhaps I h

The Slow Forward Match to Greatness

We all have goals that we’d like to reach. And, if we had the choice, we would prefer to reach them sooner rather than later. We want to get results now. We want to make plans, pursue them and achieve immediate results. My experience teaching younger children has taught me some life lessons. First, the power of patience. Second, the power of repetition. Third, the power of learning by portion. Esther is a little girl I teach. She's active and ready to learn but easily distracted. She was yet to master the use of letters to form words. Words that rhyme. My goal for her was to make her master two-lettered words in one week, three-lettered words in the second week, four-lettered words in the third week. All in three weeks. By the fourth week, she would begin to read texts written from two letters to four letters. I set these goals in high spirits. I thought within myself:  If I can achieve this - I'll count myself an effective teacher, besides her parents would be impressed the

What Kind of Life Are You Living: Significant or Insignificant?

Life is all about choices. You live out what you choose - whether consciously or unconsciously . Right now, you are either living a life that is significant in your community or you're kind of lost in the crowd. If you are unsure of where you belong, don't worry, we are here for you. Choosing to live a significant life begins with a sombre reflection and realization. It also goes along with the willingness to pay a price. What Does it Mean to Live a Significant Life? Living a significant life is living a life of impact. A life that touches someone, meets the need of others; an indispensable life. You could be popular and still be miserable. You could have a large number of friends on social media and still be lonely. A significant life is an active life; a well that many can draw from. Pouring out yourself in this regard is very important. Anything significant must be useful, resourceful, indispensable. If it doesn't meet a need, then we can dispose it. When you live fo